Programmes of Study: Ages 5-7
Click on the icons for the Topic-related Questions and Learning Objectives for each Big Idea
SUBJECT CONTENT in the Programme of Study Ages 5-7
Pupils should be taught about:
BI 1: Continuity, Change and Diversity
- distinctive things that are very important to people and may be called ‘precious’, ‘sacred’ or ‘holy’
- the names of religions / worldviews represented in the school, locality and elsewhere in the UK
- people belonging to the same religion / worldview sometimes having different ‘holy’ or important things and expressing their religion / worldview in different ways.
BI 2: Words and Beyond
- how to interpret words and symbols in order to find out what they mean to different people.
BI3: A Good Life
- the lives of exemplary people as examples of the qualities and characteristics that members of religions / worldviews might try to achieve
- the teaching of religions / worldviews about specific actions that are right and wrong and about good and bad attitudes.
BI 4: Making Sense of Life’s Experiences
- experiences that make people wonder at the world and ask big questions about life
- stories of people’s experiences and encounters that have changed the way they live their lives.
BI 5: Influence and Power
- the influence of religions / worldviews on themselves, their family, their school and their communities
- how religions / worldviews do not influence everyone’s life in the same way.
BI6: The Big Picture
- stories or accounts from religions / worldviews that help people understand more about the world and human life
- well-known stories or accounts that are well-known as they have been handed down over generations.
To see programmes of study for individual key stages, click on one of the buttons below.